If you are a Fast Ring Insider, you might have already noticed that Microsoft is no longer updating the first-party apps. With Skip Ahead, you can still get the latest app updates but only on Windows 10 PC. On the other hand, Microsoft has already confirmed that skip ahead is not coming to Windows 10 Mobile as the OS will rest on the feature2 branch.
As skip ahead is not coming to Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft is no longer updating apps for Fast Ring Insiders, to get the latest app updates – you will need to switch to the Release Preview Ring. It is not as easy as it sounds because you will need to rollback using the Windows Device Recovery Tool and the enrol into the Release Preview Ring.
How to rollback to Release Preview Ring on Windows 10 Mobile
- Download Windows Device Recovery Tool from here.
- Connect your phone to PC using USB cable.
- Rollback to Windows 10 Mobile or Windows Phone 8.1 (depends on the phone).
- Once you are back to Windows 10 Mobile, to Settings > Security & Updates > Windows Insider Programme and join Release Preview Ring.
- The Release Preview Ring downgrades the phone to build 15063.xxx.
After your phone has been enrolled into the Release Preview Ring, the phone will now start receiving the latest inbox app updates. According to Microsoft, this is a normal behaviour. “Expected. There’s no “skip ahead” for mobile, and the preview builds need to have “inbox” app versions for validation,” Microsoft’s Jason said.