Microsoft today expanded the availability of Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) to the Release Preview Ring ring. This change confirms that Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its track to late May public launch.
Right now, the Windows 10 May 2019 Update Build 18362.30 is rolling out to the Release Preview Ring. Windows 10 May 2019 Update is quite stable now, but it will remain in the Release Preview Ring and receive cumulative updates until late May.
This would give Microsoft more time to detect any critical issues before broader deployment.
It is worth noting that Windows 10 May 2019 Update still has some bugs but it is now stable than before. If you can’t wait to try out the new features of May 2019 Update, you can enroll your PC into the Windows Insider Program and subscribe to Release Preview Ring at your own risk.
“The May 2019 Update will remain in the Release Preview ring for an increased amount of time in order give us additional time and signals to detect any issues before broader deployment,” Microsoft explains.
Given what happened last time around when Windows 10 October 2018 Update made its way to the public despite serious issues, Microsoft is taking precautions to ensure the quality of Windows 10 May 2019 Update.
As noted above, there are still some bugs in Windows 10 May 2019 Update. But if you still want to install the update right now, you are recommended to take a full backup of your system.
How to install Windows 10 May 2019 Update through Release Preview Ring
- Join the Windows Insider Program from the Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program.
- Click the “Get started” button.
- Link your Microsoft account if you haven’t already.
- After setting up the Insider program, select “Just fixes, apps, and drivers” in the Settings app to join the Release Preview ring. Do not select any other option as it would enrol you to an entirely different branch.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and restart the PC.
- After rebooting, double check the Windows Insider program setup.
- Go to the Settings > Windows Update and check for updates.
- The May 2019 Update will show up within 24 hours.
In the coming weeks, the cumulative updates will be shipped to Windows 10 May 2019 Update with fixes and improvements. The build number should stay at 18362 unless a critical bug is discovered.