Microsoft today released a new update for its famous Launcher app (Beta) for Android devices. The latest update adds many new features to the Beta application which can be downloaded from the Play Store for Android users who have signed in for the beta program.
With the latest update, Android users with version 4.0.x and 4.1 will not be receiving any new features going forward, meaning Microsoft will only be pushing out new features for Android users who have updated to Android 5.0 and above.
You can find the official changelog below:
- Folder and app icon gestures (swipe to open or click to launch).
- Choose how to use the last row of expanded dock: Apps, pinned contacts, folders, search bar or widgets.
- Parents can enable web filtering through the Family card.
- Folders in the app drawer are now sorted alphabetically.
- UI improvements: Animation adjustments; blur effect as an option; App badges in the app drawer.
- Fully support Android O and remove support for 4.0.X and 4.1
Microsoft has also made available its Digital Assistant Cortana for the en-IN market with the latest update. However the company also notes that Cortana will only be available for beta users and will not be part of the public roll out in few weeks time.
The update now allows users to set their own folder and app icon gestures. You can either opt for swipe to open or click to launch option by going to the settings screen. Users will now be able to choose how they would like to use the last row of expanded dock.
Microsoft has also made some animation and app dragging improvements and has enabled the blur effect for the home screen. If users like to disable they can do so by going to settings. The app drawer now shows the App badges and folders which are sorted alphabetically along with the app cards and page.
The latest update with version 4.12 is a major one for Microsoft Launcher users on Android enrolled in the beta program and we expect Microsoft to push the new features after successful testing in the coming days or weeks to the public version of the application.