After solving a long turmoil caused by some weird bugs, Microsoft is finally releasing the most anticipated Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) today.
This update is full of exciting new features such as Your Phone app, Cloud clipboard, dark theme for File Explorer, new Fluent Design elements, Cortana UI improvements, Search previews, Snip & Sketch app, Edge browser improvements, Better HDR support, New game bar features and many more changes under the hood.
Just like how it happened last year, this update will be rolled out to users in stages. You always you can check for updates manually inside settings or directly update by downloading the Media Creation Tool.
“On November 13, 2018, we will begin the re-release of the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically,” Microsoft said in a support document.
Getting Windows 10 October 2018 Update from Windows settings
If your PC is the part of the first wave, basically you have nothing to do, it’ll automatically download the update but it won’t install unless you allow. You can always give it a halt by following the on-screen information and do rest of the installation process after finishing your work.
But if your PC is not a part of the first wave and you can’t wait to install it, here’s the process for you.
- Open Start menu and tap on Settings cog icon or press “win key + I’ to open settings.
- In Settings app, go to Update & Security page.
- Start the update by clicking on ‘check for updates’ button.
- Windows will check for updates and download it in the background. It will show as ‘downloading feature update’.
- After the PC finishes the download process, it’ll start the installation process.
- After it finishes the installation, simply click on Restart to complete the update.
Microsoft has made the process very easy as the update will install just like the monthly cumulative updates but the installation of October update will take longer time.
Getting Windows 10 October 2018 Update with the Media Creation Tool
If the October 2018 update is not showing up even after checking for updates in the settings page, you can use the Media Creation Tool.
- Download the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft website.
- Double-click the file to start the process.
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- Select Upgrade this PC now option.
If the clean installation is your thing, you can read our tutorial to clean install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update.
Is Windows 10 October 2018 Update showing up on your PC? Let us know in the comments below.