Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) has been re-released on November 13, and we have everything you need to know about how you can download Windows 10 October 2018 Update and install it right now.
The October 2018 Update is a pretty big release with a bunch of new features and improvements for Windows 10. It brings support for Cloud Clipboard, as well as improved snipping experience, better performance and a new dark themed File Explorer.
Windows 10 October 2018 Update is being rolled out gradually and it won’t show up on all PCs this month. You may have to wait until the update is available for your device but there are multiple ways to install the update right now.
Also, you should bear in mind that Microsoft recommends users to wait until the update is offered on their devices automatically. Forcing the update may result in unexpected issues on some systems.
Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements, you’ve enough free space, you do not have any incompatible drivers installed. Also, check out the list of the known issues in Windows 10 October 2018 Update.
You’re always recommended to wait until the update is offered to you automatically. This ensures the best experience and fewer issues but if you don’t want to wait, you can manually install the update.
You can download and install Windows 10 version 1809 by following any of the methods outlined below.
How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update using Update Assistant
If you have already checked for updates via Settings page and it said the PC is up to date, you can easily force Windows 10 October update using Microsoft’s official Update Assistant Tool.
- To do this, head to Microsoft’s webpage.
- Click ‘Update Now’.
- Windows 10 Update Assistant Tool will download and the size is around 6MB.
- Run the Update Assistant and it will check the system configuration. If all checks are green, you can proceed to the next step to begin the installation.
- Click the Next button to continue.
- After the download finishes, click the Restart Now button to apply it.
It’s important to understand that your PC will restart a few times during the installation process. Your files, apps, and settings will remain intact but make sure you save your work before restarting the PC.
The installation takes around 30 minutes but it could be longer as the entire process depends on your hardware and internet speeds. If you’ve got SSD, a powerful processor – the installation will complete in less than one hour.
If you encounter any problems during, or after, installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, you can always rollback to the April 2018 Update without losing any settings and data.
How to download and install October 2018 Update using Media Creation Tool
You can use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade your current PC or perform a fresh installation which removes the Settings, personal files and apps.
Windows 10 October 2018 Update is available through the Media Creation Tool and you can follow the steps outlined below:
- Head to Microsoft’s download page from here.
- Click Download tool now option under Create Windows 10 installation media section.
- Run the app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select the Upgrade this PC now option and Click Next.
- Double check and confirm that the Keep personal files and apps option is selected. Otherwise, your files, apps, and settings will be erased.
- Click Install to begin the update process.
All your files and settings will remain where they were.
The process of downloading and installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update using Media Creation Tool is very easy. After you click on ‘Install’, the upgrade process will begin and your PC will restart a few times.
How to download and install the October 2018 Update using the Insider program
You can get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update right now and directly from the Settings page by joining the Windows Insider Program. To get the update using the Insider program, do the following:
- Open Settings via Start menu or Cortana search.
- Click on Update & security and navigate the Windows Insider Program page.
- Click the Get started button.
- Restart your computer to apply the new changes.
- Once again open the Insider settings page and under “Choose your Insider level” select Just fixes and updates (Release Preview Ring) option.
After installing the October 2018 Update, you can leave the Insider program from the Settings pages.
Clean installation (advanced method)
If you want to get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update as a fresh install on your machine, you can use the second option in Media Creation Tool.
The clean installation of Windows 10 will permanently delete all your contents including the files stored in the library, documents, pictures, videos, the apps that you installed from the Microsoft Store and as well as the third-party programs.
Create a bootable drive with Media Creation Tool
- You would need to download the Media Creation Tool and run the file.
- There are two options – the first one allows you to upgrade your PC while keeping your data intact. But for the clean installation, you need to select “Create installation media (USB Flash Drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC” option.
- Simply follow the on-screen instructions and select the correct type of installation media.
- Select USB flash as your media installation type.
- Get a USB flash drive or a Pendrive that has up to 8GB of free space. Attach it to your PC and you will be able to use your USB flash drive to install a new copy of Windows 10.
The Media Creation Tool will download the update and create a bootable drive. Once it’s ready, you can follow the steps outlined below:
- Connect the USB flash drive to your PC.
- To boot from the USB flash drive, go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup. Click ‘Restart now’.
- The PC will load the Windows Setup wizard where you need to click Next and hit the Install Now button.
- You’ll see a message asking for product key. It can be skipped and you can click “I don’t have a product key link” to continue.
- Click on the Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced).
- You may need to delete the existing Windows partition and install Windows 10 again on unallocated space.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to clean install the OS.
While you can install Windows 10 October 2018 Update by following any of the methods noted above, you’re still recommended to wait until the automatic update is offered to your device.
Disclaimer: We are not liable for any damage caused through use of the methods outlined in this article.