The firmware and driver update for Microsoft Surface lineup hasn’t been without its own issues. Users reported last month that a botched Surface firmware causes serious battery issues and Microsoft was said to be working on a solution.
Over the weekend, Microsoft rolled out firmware and driver updates to a number of its Surface devices. And after applying the latest firmware updates, users are confirming that battery issues have been fixed.
Our readers confirmed to us that battery issue resolved after applying the latest firmware update:
“Thank you for your previous article. I can confirm installing September firmware update on my Surface Pro 6 enrolled to Release Preview Ring resolves all battery woes! The device finally lives up to the expectations”, a user told us.
“Battery issues are gone after the firmware patch. I’m on Release Preview Ring and this update has also resolved my WiFi connectivity issues, at least for now,” another user confirmed to us that battery issues have been resolved in the latest firmware update.
“Indeed, the Release Preview ring of the Insider program contains a new firmware update at least for the Surface Pro 6, and after the first try (firmware update, then shutdown and letting rest for about 6 hours) i don’t have a battery drain any more. I will verify a few more times, but it seems that the firmware update fixed the problem at least for my device. Not sure when the final release date is planned for everyone, but it shouldn’t take much longer,” a user wrote on Microsoft community forum.
The firmware version is 241.1.139.0 for Surface Pro 6.
Users on Reddit are also reporting that Microsoft has managed to address the battery issues with Surface Pro 6 and others. However, the update is available only for Release Preview Ring Insiders at the moment.
How to get the latest Surface firmware
- Open Settings via Start or Search and navigate to Update & Security page.
- On the Windows Insider Program page, click on Get Started and link your Microsoft account if you haven’t already.
- Click on Release Preview Ring (make sure that you join the right ring, otherwise things go wild).
- Restart your Surface.
- After reboot, check for updates on Windows Update page and Surface firmware 241.1.139.0 will show up.
- Download and install the firmware.
- Reboot your device and you will notice significant battery improvements over the next few days.
It’s worth noting that Release Preview Ring is part of Windows Insider program and it can send you buggy Windows updates or beta builds, including Windows 10 19H2.