Windows 10 October 2020 Update is now rolling out in phases. The rollout is expected to take several weeks, but if you’re feeling impatient, there are three ways to download and install the October 2020 Update right now.
Windows 10’s latest feature update is primarily designed to optimize your system for a better experience. It doesn’t come with a bunch of new features or major improvements, and industry sources believe this is deliberately low-key.
Windows 10 version 20H2 is currently rolling out to ‘seekers’ only. In particular, you’ll only receive the update if you manually click the “Check for Updates” and then select “Download and install now” option.
In this guide, we will show you steps to download and install the October 2020 Update (version 20H2) on your device.
How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update using Windows Update
If you haven’t received the upgrade notification yet, you can use the Settings app to download and install the October 2020 Update right now.
As we just noted, this update is available to those who proactively go download and install the bits on their own. It means that you simply have to open the Windows Update page, check for updates, and then click on the final installation button.
To upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2 using the Settings app, follow these steps:
- Open Start Menu.
- Click on the cog icon to launch Settings.
- Tap on the ‘Update & Security’ option.
- Select ‘Windows Update’.
- Click ‘Check for updates’ and let it look for updates.
- Select ‘Download and install’ to begin the download.
- Once finished, you will receive a notification to restart the PC.
- Click on ‘Restart now’ button to complete the installation.
Remember that your computer is not ready for the update yet when you don’t see the message titled “Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2”. It could also mean that the update is not yet available in your region.
How to download and install the Windows 10 October 2020 Update using the Update Assistant
If you don’t see the option to install the update in the Settings app, don’t worry as Microsoft is offering an alternative path for those who are ready to install Windows 10 October 2020 Update.
To install Windows 10 version 20H2 using Update Assistant tool, follow these steps:
- Visit Microsoft’s download page.
- Click on ‘Update now’ under ‘Windows 10 October 2020 Update now available’.
- Open ‘Windows10Upgrade’ executable file.
- In Update Assistant tool, click on ‘Update now’.
- Agree to terms & conditions when asked.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Allow Update Assistant to download the bits.
- Click on ‘Restart now’ button.
For those unaware, Update Assistant tool was originally published in 2015 and it’s a very small installer that weighs less than 1mb. When you open the Update Assistant tool, Microsoft says it runs a compatibility check and then begins the upgrade when your PC passes compatibility tests.
You cannot begin the installation process if a compatibility issue is detected by Microsoft Update Assistant tool.
The Update Assistant is straightforward and it doesn’t require special technical expertise.
How to download the Windows 10 October 2020 Update Update using Media Creation Tool
You can download and upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2 manually using Media Creation. This tool allows you to install the update directly to your PC or create installation media without losing files or apps.
To install Windows 10 version 20H2 using the Media Creation Tool, follow these steps:
- In your choice of browser, open Microsoft’s website again.
- Click on ‘Download tool now’ option.
- Double-click the MediaCreationTool20H2.exe.
- Allow administrator privilege when asked.
- Read and agree to the terms & conditions.
- Select the first option ‘Upgrade this PC now’.
- Click ‘Next’.
- By default, the first option ‘Keep personal files and apps’ will be selected.
- Click on ‘Next’ to continue.
Once done, Media Creation Tool assumes that you want to upgrade the existing machine without deleting your personal information.
Using the Media Creation Tool, you can also create bootable installation media directly and use it to upgrade multiple PCs without downloading the same bits again.
Remember that Media Creation Tool can sometimes fail when it’s unable to run the process due to a third-party program. When this happens, restart your system and run Media Creation Tool setup directly from the downloaded file.
As an alternative, Microsoft has also published Windows 10 October 2020 Update ISO file and you can use it instead when these methods fail. The ISO file, also known as media image, can be opened directly in File Explorer as a CD-ROM.
You can unmount ISO file using File Explorer and run Setup.exe within your current Windows installation to do an in-place upgrade. You can also use the media image to do the update later.
What you need to know about the update
On October 20, Microsoft said that users can download Windows 10 20H2 update via the following channels:
- Windows Update (Settings > Update & Security).
- Update Assistant (works if your PC is compatible).
- Media Creation Tool (works if your PC is compatible).
- Media images (works for everyone).
Unlike this year’s first feature update, the October 2020 Update is a minor affair and Microsoft says users should install the September 2020 Patch Tuesday updates or newer for smooth upgrade experience via enablement package.
Microsoft is also encouraging users to wait for the October 2020 Update to become available via Windows Update. In other words, advanced methods, such as Media Creation Tool, Update Assistant or media images, are not recommended unless you really want the upgrade.