Microsoft earlier this week announced that the answers forum will no longer provide technical support for older products. The forum will continue to exist, but Microsoft’s technical support staff will no longer review or answer the questions related to Windows 7, 8.1, old Surface devices and other older products.
Microsoft has officially announced the new product support changes, and it will come into effect in July 2018. While the company won’t answer the answers, users can still use it and interact with each other.
It’s worth noting Microsoft Staff will continue to moderate the answers forum to ensure a safe environment. Microsoft is discontinuing forums support for the following products:
- Windows 7, 8.1, 8.1 RT
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Internet Explorer 10
- Office 2010, 2013
- Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface RT, Surface 2
- Microsoft Band – this topic will be locked. Users are invited to participate in Microsoft Band 2 topic.
- Mobile devices forum – Microsoft support will continue in “Other Windows mobile devices” topic
- Zune – this topic will be locked, but will remain available for browsing
“Effective July 2018, the Microsoft Community forums listed below will shift support scope and Microsoft staff will no longer provide technical support there. There will be no proactive reviews, monitoring, answering or answer marking of questions. The forums will still be moderated by Microsoft agents to ensure participants can engage in a safe and positive environment,” Michelle Mad, moderator said in a statement.