Microsoft is trying to fix the touchpads on Windows PCs with its new Precision trackpad. However, the old laptops still have the Synaptic touchpads which is worse than Macs. As not every PC manufacturer is using the new Precision trackpad, you can easily change your laptop’s trackpad to Surface-like Precision trackpad.
Microsoft created “precision touchpad” for Windows to improve the gestures control. The old touchpads are dependent on the drivers for the finger inputs. Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft made Windows responsible for the recognizing the inputs, this helps Windows understand the input and process the gestures.
Get Microsoft Surface-like Precision trackpad
- Download Precision drivers for Synaptics or Precision drivers for Elan
- Right click on start screen button and ooen devices manager
- Right click on the touchpad devices in devices manager
- You will now need to select the driver you downloaded earlier by clicking on the ‘Browse my computer’ option.
- Select the autorun.inf, you will find it in the driver folder which you downloaded in step 1.
- Select ‘Synaptics Pointing Device’ option and click on next to complete the driver installation.
- Reboot your PC.
- That’s it! You have successfully installed the new Precision touchpad.
Why do you prefer Precision touchpad over Synaptic touchpad? Let us know in the comments below.