Last year, Microsoft started to sell Samsung Galaxy S8 in the Microsoft Store. Just like last year, Microsoft would sell this phone with the name Samsung Galaxy S9 “Microsoft Edition”. Similarly, this phone might have all the Microsoft apps pre-installed. The Store listing itself points out how Microsoft apps like Microsoft Launcher, Office, Skype, etc. would work well the device.
Speaking about the phone itself, Samsung Galaxy S9 in Samsung’s latest flagship smartphone. It comes with Android Oreo powered by Snapdragon 845 with 18:9 AMOLED display.
Here’s the spec sheet:
- Processor – Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 845
- Display – 5.8”/6.2″ Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Resolution – 1440 x 2960 pixels, 18.5:9 ratio
- Camera – 12MP (f/1.5-2.4, 26mm, 1/2.5″, 1.4 µm, Dual Pixel PDAF), phase detection autofocus, OIS, LED flash 8MP autofocus, [email protected], dual video call, Auto HDR
- Memory – Internal storage: 64GB, expandable up to 256GB with MicroSD card
- Wifi – 802.11ac MIMO, 1.2Gbps (Cat-18) LTE, NFC, GPS, GLONASS
- Bluetooth – v5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps)
- OS – Android 8.0 Oreo
- Dimensions – 5.81 x 2.70 x 0.33 inches (147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm)
- Battery – 3000/3500mAh
- USB – 3.1, type-C Charging
- SIM – Single SIM (Nano-SIM)
- Headphone jack – 3.5mm
- Network – GSM / LTE
The handset is available in two sizes and retails starting at $719.99 from Microsoft.
It’s not a secret that Microsoft has already given up on Windows Phone, and surrendered to Android and iOS to improve the cross-platform compatibility of its services. Last year when media outlets claimed the existence of the Galaxy S8/S8+ “Microsoft Edition”, Samsung said in a statement that there’s no such thing as a Microsoft Edition Galaxy S8. So technically this is not a Microsoft Edition of the phone, but it comes with some pre-installed apps such as Skype.
Both the handsets, Samsung Galaxy S9 / S9+ (Unlocked) is expected to launch on 16th March. Microsoft is expected to sell these devices in the physical stores as well. If you are interested, you can pre-order the phone from here.