Ever since Microsoft had announced the Windows 10 S, there have been talks of how to install the win32 apps on it. Since Windows 10 S is locked to the Windows Store for apps and games Microsoft also offers Windows 10 S devices an upgrade path to Windows 10 Pro which in turn unlocks the ability to install win32 desktop apps.
Here’s how to update Windows 10 S device to Windows 10 Pro:
- Open Settings app and go to update and security tab
- click Activation from the left pane and then click Go to Store.
- This will open store page for upgrade and click on install.
- It will ask you whether you have saved your files or not, click on Yes, let’s go.
- After that your PC will be updated to Windows 10 Pro after restart.
There’s another method by which you can upgrade your Windows 10 S. If you have a product key for Windows 10 Pro you can can upgrade directly from Settings app. The process for upgrading is similar to Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.
Note: Once you upgrade to Windows 10 pro from Windows 10 S you cannot revert back to windows 10 S with your all apps installed. If you want to come back to S you will have to reset your PC from settings app.