Popular and growing media player app, VLC for Windows 10 Devices has been finally announced. VLC universal app will work on all Windows 10 running devices including Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 Mobile, Xbox, loT and HoloLens.
VLC UWP Public Beta app will be available for Windows 10 Devices starting next week. The company also revealed that the app will be not available for Windows 10 Mobile TH2 devices, Windows Redstone Mobile users will able to get the UWP app.
To be completely honest – the first upcoming versions won’t have many more features than the current version of VLC for Windows Store. All those features will be present in the May/June timeframe. We’ll add new features on a weekly basis.
- Artist’s upcoming shows, because LastFM messed up its APIs. Patches are welcome if you want to bring it back from another provider
- Updated UI to match the Windows 10 style
- Choose your own accent color : VLC color or Windows chosen accent-color
- Dark or light theme following your Windows (on Anniversary update) global settings
- Windows 10 live tiles and notifications
- Drag and drop a file in the app
- Continuum support.
- Basic Continuum scenarios : docking
- Hybrid scenarios : control VLC running on your XBOX from your W10 mobile phone.
- Cortana (experimental)
- Search in the library
- Control the playback
- Playlist creation
Video Library UI
- Movie covers from the Internet
Video Player UI
- Reworked video player – easier access to VLC options, such as resizing, spu/audio delay, subtitles and audio tracks selection
- Picture in Picture mode – browse your collection and the video plays on the bottom-right corner
- Chromecast support
Video Player features
- Automatic subtitles download from the Internet
- We are trying to convince the right people at Microsoft to whitelist the DVD-related APIs. It’s technically possible!
Audio/Video Player features
- Manage your streams : favorites, delete, etc
- Automatic discovery
More languages to be added throughout the year.
- vlc:// protocol
Are you excited? Let us know in comments below: