We recently reported about an upcoming update to Windows 10 Maps app in both Windows 10 PCs and Windows 10 mobiles. Microsoft teased it by calling it an exciting update that will bring improvements in the driving mode. Today Microsoft has released a build to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring with Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile build 14291. Microsoft has also updated their Windows 10 Maps app in this build for both PC and mobiles.
Updated Maps app: This build includes an updated Maps app for Windows 10 that brings a more lightweight, scalable, and consistent UI as well as underlying architecture improvements and new features for you to try! Go on this page for detailed knowledge.
- One-tap access to search and directions from anywhere, even on your phone. This is great especially for one-handed use.
- You can view multiple searches and directions at the same time, on the same map as they are layered on top of each other and you can use tabs or the map to switch between them.
- You can now minimize search results, directions, and location info to enjoy more of the map while keeping them within easy reach.
- You can see labels for your search results directly on the map. No more numbers to match between the map and the list.
- Cortana will give you turn-by-turn directions (if Cortana is enabled).
- We have improved the logic for nearby searches so you should see better (closer) results.
- We have added the ability to search for your favorite city in the 3D cities list so no more scrolling forever to get to the city you want.
- You can now access your favorites offline and add notes to them.
- We have updated the turn-by-turn design to improve glanceability and landscape layout.