In Jan 2016, There were reports that Tencent, the owners of WeChat have paused their works on the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app. WeChat was one of first launch partners for the Windows 10 initiative and a UWP app was announced at Build 2015.
But now it seems they have started working on the Windows 10 Universal App as the first screenshots of the new Universal App have been shared by a @hykenblue on twitter. The app has a hamburger menu which is now common on Windows 10 UWP apps and it has a menu bar at bottom for better one hand usability.
— Hyken Wong (@hykenblue) April 18, 2016
WeChat is a very popular messaging app for China.
Current WeChat app offers following features on Windows Phone 8.1 OS app:
Free texting, voice messages, and video calls in your pocket. 400 million people love WeChat because it’s fast, reliable, private, and always on.
- -Talk faster on the go with voice messages
- -Crystal clear voice and video calls -Instant messaging with group chats and animated smileys
- -Chat with your friends or with people nearby
- -Sending photos and videos has never been simpler -Real walkie talkie mode with up to 40 friends
- -Always on, no logouts, never miss a message
- -Get message alerts instantly with push notifications
- -Share, like, and comment on photos with your friends
- -Import contacts and add friends instantly
- -Available on Windows Phone and all other smartphones, all for free -WeChat works over your phone’s existing data plan or any WiFi connection.
Download WP 8.1 app here.